Is a real estate agent necessary when selling your home in Central New York? Some might say you’re a fool to represent yourself in court and the same idea applies to selling your home by yourself. Sure there is a ton of advice on the internet: “How to sell a for sale by owner (FSBO)” or “Tips for selling my house.” It takes study, time and inclination to successfully sell your house.
The internet is the great leveler. Items that were sold only in stores are now selling well on the internet resulting in whole industries closing their brick and mortar stores. Books, record albums, CDs, DVDs, furniture, food, cars and even houses.
In the way back, if you wanted to travel, you called your travel agent who had books and books for airlines, destinations, times of departures and fares. Now all of that is online. If you have the time and inclination, you can be your own real estate agent.
That’s the key, isn’t it? Time and inclination.
Here are six tips to get homebuyers and buyer’s agents to view your house:
- Price it right – do your research. See what selling prices are with houses in your neighborhood.
- Stage the house properly – Your home must be clean, sleek, with no distractive décor. You want prospective buyers to see your home as if they lived there already. That means your stuff must be out of the house, sold, or in storage. Homes that have been staged sell quicker, and for a higher price.
- Take professional photos – Marketing a home successfully starts with taking the highest quality pictures with a professional camera to ensure that the home receives maximum exposure. Since much of the initial shopping for a home is online, photos of a staged house draw more buyers to an open house. Take a look at Craigslist at houses for sale by owner. Would you want to know more about a house that is cluttered, dirty, and beds unmade?
- Be agile – make the house available for showing
- Network – hire an appraiser, an inspector and meet a mortgage broker who can shepherd you and your seller through the paperwork.
- Market your house – the internet is filled with ways to get eyes on your house. Do your research.
You can see that these six keys to selling your house are important. Doing it on your own can be like reinventing the wheel, especially when it comes to marketing, staging or having professional photos taken. If you don’t have the time and inclination to sell your house and don’t want to go through all the suggested steps, call a Realtor. A Realtor will make the whole process simple and easy, guiding you all the way. Realtors market homes for sale daily and they have the connections to refer other real estate professionals you will need throughout the home selling process.
As well as being a licensed real estate salesperson with RealtyUSA in the Manlius office, I am a local business owner and real estate investor. I am an active member of the Onondaga County Real Estate Investment Club and affiliated with multiple national real estate investing networks. It would be my pleasure to assist you in meeting your real estate goals and objectives. Feel free to contact me to explore your options and allow me to present you with a proven marketing plan to cause your home to be sold!