Good news abounds if you want to sell your Central New York home. The median home value in Onondaga County is $131,100. Onondaga County home values have gone up 3.0% over the past year and Zillow predicts they will rise 1.7% within the next year. The median price of homes currently listed in Onondaga County is $139,900. That figure makes Onondaga County one of the lowest priced counties in Upstate New York. Here are 10 tips to sell your Onondaga County home …
Here are 10 tips to sell your Onondaga County Home.
- Make a first visit to your home a lasting impression. The lawn should be mowed and edged, dead stuff taken away or raked, plants trimmed, and flowers blooming in the flower beds. Wash the siding and windows. You want your house to stand out from the crowd.
- Freshly paint the front door. This is the welcome mat to your home. While you are at it, make sure the doorbell and porch light work.
- Make it smell good when they walk in. There’s a wonderful resort in Mazatlan at Emerald Bay. When you enter the lobby, you a greeted by a clean, tropical smell that makes you want to linger. Have a friend walk into your home and give it the smell test.
- De-clutter every room. “Get rid of the family pictures,” says, Staci Byers, home “Get out of your house!” You want them to imagine their belongings, pictures, art, books in “their” new home. Other opinions state that removing “yourself” from the home by removing family pictures, etc. is not necessary, but give an objective review and strongly consider thinning out the personal and family artifacts.
- You’ve de-cluttered the house. Is it clean? Nothing will turn off the buyer more than dirty and being unkempt. Buyer are given the impression that if basic housekeeping is lacking, routine maintenance must be poor or non-existent.
Here are more of our 10 tips to sell your Onondaga County Home.
- Clean out the closets, the medicine cabinet, and the tops of dressers. Prospective buyers will certainly look and they don’t want to see any of that. Don’t think that it won’t be seen, just because it is behind a closed door.
- Make sure the bathroom is clean, and your grooming gear is gone. Set up a basket or Tupperware tub to tuck away your grooming gear each morning. Make this a new routine since you never know when a buyer will request a showing. Expect a showing request every day. Deferring buyer requests for a showing because you didn’t clean up the bathroom on a particular day will frustrate buyers and give the impression that you are not serious about selling.
- Paint! Take down the pictures from the walls, spackle the nail holes, and paint. Stick to neutral, earth-tone colors. This is one of the most cost-effective preparations you can make to prepare your home for sale. Freshly painted walls and fresh paint smell gives a “new” impression.
- Decorate tables with flowers. If you have room for al fresco dining, set the table with napkins. Let them picture themselves dining outside, enjoying conversation over candlelight.
- Stage your home for sale or hire a home stager. Your home will be clean and sleek, increasing your chances will be great for a quick sale. Staged homes sell quicker, and for a higher price. Since much of the initial shopping for a home is online, photos of a staged house draw more buyers to an open house.
The 10 tips to sell your Onondaga County Home are valuable since a properly prepared home sells faster and for a higher price. Combine those 10 tips to sell your Onondaga County home with a great realtor and you’ve made the task easier. A great realtor can help you setting a price and can help you negotiate the price and inspection report with the buyer. Contact Mike Liepke of RealtyUSA (Manlius) for a no-obligation consultation for preparing your home for sale and pricing.